ANAHEIM – Visual effects of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory, and Jungle Book; virtual reality, walking robots and digital art were featured at the annual SIGGRAPH conference at the Anaheim Convention Center at the end of July.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Speakers from ILM discussed VFX of the top film.
– All of the ILM VFXers wanted to work on shots w the Millennium Falcon, BB8 and Rathtars
– When it was determined Rathtars could roll, JJ wanted a Han and Chewie running down a hallway from a rolling Rathtar, a nice visual reference to the iconic scene of Indiana Jones fleeing the boulder in Temple of Doom
Victoria Alonso, Marvel’s EVP of Visual Effects, spoke on the Captain America: Civil War panel, where VFXers from Marvel and Method Studios discussed the visual effects of the complicated airport battle scene and other scenes in the film.
– More than 600 digital objects were created for the airport battle
– To make Ant-Man turned Giant-Man seem large, animators slowed down his movements
– Four layers of rain and background were used in rain sequences on Jungle Book
Virtual Reality was prominent on the show floor, as well as several interactive art displays including a word cloud swing, and light room. A huge walking robot you control with your hands to move was another highlight.