Our annual Digital @ Awards tracker highlights digital winners at awards shows 2017:
Writers Guild Awards
February 19 @ Beverly Hilton
BEVERLY HILLS – Moonlight and Arrival were the film winners at the Writers Guild Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.
Oliver Stone won a Golden Laurel award for his body of films, including political films like JFK, Platoon, and Born on the Fourth of July which question political structures and military might.
Aaron Sorkin won the Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award for Television. In his impassioned speech, he called upon writers stay vigilant writing stories that need to be told, especially in the current political environment.
– Original Screenplay: Moonlight, Barry Jenkins and Tarell McCraney
– Adapted Screenplay: Arrival by Eric Heisserer
– Video Game: Uncharted 4: The Thief’s End, by Naughty Dog, based in LA. We interviewed the Naughty Dog winners, who talked about writing for games, and game development process at Naughty Dog.
– Original Short Form New Media: “The Party” The Commute Congrats writers Linsey Stewart & Dane Clark.
– Adapted Short Form New Media – “Passage” Part 4 (Fear the Walking Dead) Congrats Lauren Signorino & Mike Zunic
– Atlanta on FX won Comedy and New Series
– The Americans won Drama
Emmy-winning actor-writer-comedian Patton Oswalt (Talking for Clapping, Veep) – who recently won a Grammy for Best Comedy Album – hosted the WGAW’s West Coast ceremony, which was once again executive produced by Hugh Fink.
Silicon Valley executive producer and writer Dan O’Keefe was nominated for Comedy for Silicon Valley. Dan spoke at our Silicon Beach Fest – Closing Party about creating the show, finding inspiration from real life startups, and more.
Motion Picture Sound Editors Awards
February 19 @ Westin Bonaventure
DOWNTOWN – Hacksaw Ridge won two awards – FX / Foley and Dialogue / ADR – at the Motion Picture Sound Editors awards at the Westin Bonaventure.
Congrats to award winners, especially digital:
– Sound Editing in a Feature Film: FX / Foley: Hacksaw Ridge
– Sound Editing in a Feature Film: Dialogue / ADR: Hacksaw Ridge
– Sound Editing in a Feature Film, Music in Musical: La La Land
– Sound Editing in a Feature Film, Music Score: Warcraft: The Beginning
– Sound and Music Editing, Animated Film: Moana
– Sound and Music Editing – Direct to Video Animation
Lego DC Comics Superheroes: Justice League – Gotham City Breakout
– Sound and Music Editing – Computer Episodic (Webisode): Joyride
– Sound and Music Editing – Game Cinematics: Gears of War 4
– Sound and Music Editing – Special Venue: Pearl, Google Spotlight Stories, Google Inc.
– Sound and Music Editing – TV Animation
Guillermo Del Toro won the Filmmaker Award, saying “I am Mexican, and giving me this tells me the barriers people try to erect are false.”
Quentin Tarantino made a surprise appearance to present the Career Achievement Award to Harry Cohen.
Makeup and Hair Stylists Awards
February 19 @ Novo Microsoft
DOWNTOWN – Ryan Murphy received the Distinguished Artisan Award at the Makeup and Hair Stylists Awards at the Novo at the Microsoft Theatre.
In his acceptance speech, Ryan praised the hair and makeup audience for their hard work in making characters come to life and storytelling thru their craft. He said when he creates character for TV, he has an idea of where they will go. But after seeing an actor’s hair and makeup, that helps inform the character and propels him further.
Congrats winners including:
– Feature Motion Picture, Contemporary Makeup: Nocturnal Animals
– Feature Motion Picture, Contemporary Hairstyling: La La Land
– Feature Motion Picture, Period / Character Makeup: Suicide Squad
– Feature Motion Picture, Special Makeup Effects: Star Trek Beyond
– Television and New Media, Contemporary Makeup: Westworld
– Television and New Media, Period / Character Makeup and Hairstyling: Game of Thrones
February 12 @ Staples Center
Adele won 5 Grammy awards including Record, Album, and Song: Hello. Beyonce’s Lemonade won Urban Contemporary Album. Queen Bey’s mother goddess performance makes you wish there were a Snapchat lens or Facebook Messenger filter so you could selfie-wear her sun crown.
Chance the Rapper made history, with his streaming-release album winning best Rap and New Artist, the first time a digitally streamed release has won a Grammy.
#GRAMMYs and artists were top 10 trending all night.
At our GRAMMYs viewing party, we watched the show, and then artists Audriana (photo right) and Hobart Ocean performed at CTRL Collective Downtown LA.
February 11 @ Beverly Wilshire
BEVERLY HILLS – The Academy presented 18 science and technology achievement in filmmaking awards at its Sci-Tech Awards at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills.
The awards is held two weeks before the Oscars.
John Cho and Leslie Mann hosted the show.
Congrats to award winners from a robotic horse puppet to face capture. Award winners from ARRI, Red digital camera, Sony, ILM, and more.
See our article with a list of winners
Art Directors Guild Awards
February 11 @ Dolby Ballroom
HOLLYWOOD – ADG Awards recognized outstanding production design in film, TV and more its Return to Hollywood at the Dolby Ballroom.
– Contemporary Film: La La Land
– Period Film: Hidden Figures
– Fantasy Film: Passengers
– Short Format Digital, Web ad: iPhone 7 Balloons
Brad Bird (Incredibles) won the Cinematic Imagery Award. He said that even though he has made only five films (Incredibles, Mission Impossible, etc.) that cinematic imagery is key in storytelling
“Art direction is the core of film because images are the core of dreams,” Bird said (photo right)
ASC Cinematographers Awards
February 5 @ Hollywood & Highland Dolby Ballroom
HOLLYWOOD – Denzel Washington, Samuel L Jackson, Dakota Johnson (50 Shades Darker) and more attended the ASC Awards on Feb 5 at the Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland. The ASC Awards recognizes outstanding achievement in cinematography in film and TV.
Congrats winners and nominees including:
– Lion – Greig Fraser, ASC won the top Theatrical Film award
– Ron Garcia, ASC won Career Achievement in Television Award, saying ‘Art and activism still go hand in hand’ in his acceptance speech. He’s been a strong supporter of technical aspects of cinematography and advancement.
– Samuel L Jackson presented an award to Denzel Washington.
– Rachel Nichols presented the International Award to Philippe Rousselot
Presenters included: Samuel L Jackson, Dakota Johnson, and Rachel Nichols
February 5 @ UCLA Royce Hall
WESTWOOD – Zootopia won six awards: Feature Film, Directing, Storyboarding, Character Design, Writing and Voice Acting (tie) in Animated Feature – at the Annie Awards on Feb 5 at UCLA Royce Hall.
Kubo and the Two Strings won three: Character Animation, Editorial and Production Design in an Animated Feature.
The Pearl immersive 360 VR experience by Google Spotlight series also won three awards: Directing, Music and Production Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast, a first for the category.
Moana won two: Voice Acting and Animated Effects in Animated Feature
Congrats additional winners and noms:
– Animated Effects in Live Action: Doctor Strange
– Character Animation in Live Action: Jungle Book
– Character Animation in Video Game: Uncharted 4
Get the complete winner list on AnnieAwards site.
February 5 @ Beverly Hilton
BEVERLY HILLS – The Directors Guild Awards recognized outstanding directing for Film and TV at its 69th awards at the Beverly Hilton.
– Feature: La La Land: Damian Chazelle
– First Time Feature Film: Lion, Garth Davis
– TV Drama: Game of Thrones
– TV Comedy: Veep
– Documentary: OJ, Made in America
– Lifetime Achievement Awards: Ridley Scott, Jay Ross, Thomas Schlamme.
See DGA site for complete list of winners.
ACE Eddies Awards
January 27 @ Beverly Hilton
BEVERLY HILLS – JJ Abrams, Martin Scorsese, and dozens more presented and received awards at the American Cinema Editors awards recognizing outstanding film and TV editors at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills. Editors use Avid and other digital editing tools to help tell stories via artful editing.
JJ Abrams (Star Wars, Star Trek) won the Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year award.He said that he learned that editors are amazing storyteller. He said that writers, directors, producers, and cinematographers can always say: Oh that will be fixed later.
But too often editors have to just work with whatever footage they are given. And out of that, they can make magic.
Janet Ashikaga received the Career Achievement Award. She worked on TV shows including Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, Dirty Sexy Money, West Wing, Frasier, Seinfeld, and more.
“Just remember you do change lives,” Janet said, reminding editors of the impact their films can make on people for their social message, and for inspiring future young filmmakers.
“It’s all about trust,” said Martin Scorsese, presenting the Career Achievement Award to Thelma Schoonmaker.
Thelma edited several of his films including Silence, Aviator, Hugo, Wolf of Wall Street, Goodfellas and Raging Bull.
– Film Drama: Arrival, Joe Walker
– Film Comedy: La La Land, Tom Cross
– Animated Film: Zootopia, Fabienne Rawley and Jeremy Milton
– ‘He only asked me out on a date after he found out I was an editor. That was hot!’, said Maya Mumma winner of film doc
– Non-Commercial One Hour Series: Game of Thrones – Battle of the Bastards by editor Tim Porter
– Commercial One-Hour Series: This is Us pilot, edited by David Bertman
– Half-Hour Series: Veep
See complete list of winners at American Cinema Editors official site.
Peoples Choice Awards
January 18 @ Microsoft Theatre
– Lilly Singh won favorite YouTube star
– Cameron Dallas won favorite Social Media star
– Ellen Degeneres (photo right) won the most PCA awards ever, with her wins this year for favorite Daytime TV Host and Animated Movie Voice for Finding Dory, which also won favorite Movie and Family Movie. Go digital!
– Dwayne “the Rock” Johnson won Premium TV Actor
– Robert Downey Jr won Action Movie Actor
– Johnny Depp won favorite Movie Icon
– Justin Timberlake (Song)
– Blake Lively won Drama Movie Actress
– Jennifer Lopez won TV Crime Drama Actress
January 8 @ Beverly Hilton
Zootopia by Disney Animation won the Animated Feature Film Award. Congrats digital teams at Disney Animation!
La La Land swept the GoldenGlobes w 7 wins: Musical/Comedy, Director, Screenplay, Actor, Actress, Score, Song
Moonlight won best Drama.
January 7 @ Bellagio, Las Vegas
The Tech Emmys recognized achievements in tech advancement in television, at the Bellagio during CES.
Congrats to winners including:
– IBM and Technicolor: Digital Online Assembly
– Corning, Bell Labs/Western Electric: Fiber Optic Cable
– Alcaltel-Lucent, IET, Siemens: Opto-Electic Transduction
– Invidi Technologies, Visible World: targeted household advertising
– Tony Werner received the Lifetime Achievement Award
– Evertz, EVS and FOR-A: Non-interpolated Instant Replay.